Just Dance celebrates all types of dance. We categorize dancers according to their age.
- JUNIOR: Participants in this division are grouped as follows: 5-6yrs, 7-8yrs, 9-10yrs.
- INTERMEDIATE: Participants in this division are grouped 11-12yrs and 13-14yrs.
- SENIOR: Participants in this division are grouped as follows: 15yrs, 16-17yrs, 18yrs and above.
- NOVICE: Participants in this division are grouped as follows: 7-8 yrs, 9-10 yrs, 11-12 yrs, 13-14 yrs, and 15 yrs. A novice solo or duet/trio is open to those who have never competed before in a solo, duet or trio category as of January 1. If a dancer has competed in a jazz solo, the dancer would not be a novice for a tap solo, for example. A novice group is defined as a group of dancers of whom 100% have never competed in a competition before.
- PRE-COMPETITIVE: Participants in this division are grouped as follows: 11-12yrs, 13-14 yrs, 15 yrs, and 16-17 yrs. A pre-competitive participant must be a second year novice or has competed before and dances less than 5 hours per week, including rehearsal time.
- PROFESSIONAL: A professional is a dancer who receives payment for performing or teaching dance in excess of $5,000 per year. Professionals may dance in a competitive group category providing that 90% of the group qualifies for any of the above divisions. A professional competitor is not eligible for consideration for overall awards.
Just Dance Streams
Adjudication Stream: This stream follows the traditional style of competition.
Presentation Stream: All students participating in this stream will receive the adjudicator’s comments as well as a beautiful participant’s memento. Participants will not receive a mark and will not be in contention for the overall awards. They will be eligible for adjudicators’ special acknowledgment awards.
Starlets: For our most precious performers, ages 3-5 years old. These ‘little stars’ have the opportunity to perform and grace the stage with all the wonderment and merriment they possess. Teachers are welcome to assist the STARLETS by leading and guiding them on stage, if needed. The adjudicators will offer encouraging and positive feedback only, with no marks attached. (Click here to learn more about Starlets)
Just Dance Subjects
- Jazz: a dance incorporating jazz technique. General lifts are permissible. The routine must not contain more than 3 acro tricks.
- Contemporary Jazz: a dance incorporating Jazz technique in a contemporary style. General lifts are permissible. The routine must not include more than 3 acro tricks.
- Tap: a dance incorporating tap technique. The music must not have pre-recorded tap sounds.
- Lyrical: a dance incorporating jazz technique which expresses the mood and emotion of the music. Movements which demonstrate control, balance, extension and flexibility should be incorporated. The routine must not contain more than 3 acro tricks.
- Hip Hop: a dance incorporating hip hop and street dance technique.
- Acro: a routine incorporating acrobatic/gymnastic technique. The routine may also contain 50% of dance movements such as, jazz technique.
- Musical Theatre One: a routine which portrays an idea, theme or character. Inspiration may be taken from a musical stage production, movie or television production. Must include live vocals.
- Musical Theatre Two: a routine which portrays an idea, theme or character. Inspiration may be taken from a musical stage production, movie or television production. Includes lip-syncing.
- Modern: a dance incorporating modern technique.
- Open: a dance which does not fall into any definition of Just Dance’s subjects. For example, it may be a dance which incorporates a combination of any subject.
- Adult: a routine in which all the performers are mature adults/parents participating for recreational purposes. The adult routine will perform in the presentation stream only.
Just Dance Categories
|Categories||No. of Performers||Maximum Time Limit|
|Solo||1 dancer||2 min. 30 seconds|
|Duet||2 dancers||2 min. 30 seconds|
|Trio||3 dancers||2 min. 30 seconds|
|Small group||4-8 dancers||3 minutes|
|Large group||9-15 dancers||3 minutes|
|Line||16-19 dancers||3 minutes|
|Production||20+ dancers||8-10 minutes|
For entry fee information, please contact the festival directors (email on the Contact Us page).
Note: Please, stay within the time restrictions, as marks may be deducted.